2016 FAVORITES: Skin Care

Thursday, December 29, 2016


Hey guys! I'm happily ending the year by featuring my favorite skin care products of 2016. Since I've been following the Korean 10-step skincare routine for about a month now, I might as well let you in on the products I've been using to stick to this regimen. Needless to mention that items included in each category are the best ones I've tried so far. Let's get it on shall we?


STEP 1: Makeup Remover
My ultimate favorite makeup remover for this year is the Bioderma Make-up Removing Micelle Solution for Sensitive Skin. I love this product to bits because aside from doing its core purpose of removing makeup, it also takes good care of  my skin. Although I still prefer washing my face after using this product, there are times when I miss doing so and yet wake up to a clean and well hydrated skin. This product might be on the expensive side but believe me, you're getting your money's worth.


STEP 2: Foaming Wash
The Neutrogena Hydro Boost Mousse Cleanser is a recent discovery that blew my mind off. It's been in my stash for a year now but I've only started incorporating it in my skin care routine for the past couple of months. Good thing it hasn't expired by the time I found it because this product is by far the best foaming cleanser I've ever tried. The pump effectively creates a rich foam that you can directly apply on your face. It feels smooth when applied on your skin, easily builds a thick lather and washes off easily. I love how it eliminates all traces of dirt yet leaves your skin feeling soft and hydrated. 


STEP 3: Facial Scrub
I wasn't a frequent user of cleansing scrubs because I always believed they're not safe for daily use until I got hold of the VMV Hypoallergenics id Skin-Buffing Cleansing Scrub. It's a mild exfoliating scrub for treated skin that can be used up to twice daily. This product is moderately saturated with fine pumice grains that help clear your pores without hurting your skin. I love how it doesn't feel too rough when massaged all over your face. Still, VMV suggests not to apply pressure while massaging and to refrain from going over one area longer than 1 to 2 seconds at a time. I love this product so much that I leave 2 back-ups in my stash. Best of all, I haven't had any major break-outs since I started including this in my regimen.


STEP 4: Toner
Since the day I became a client of Dr. Isabel Lopez-Nazal's YSA Skin Care Center, I never missed using my holy grail treatment toner, the Acne Lotion for face and body by Nazal MD. It used to be called Post-Acne Lotion and despite the change in name and packaging, it's the same amazing product that's done a lot of good things for my skin. This is a clear liquid toner that has a distinct chemical smell which fades off almost instantly after application. It may sting a bit when used on active blemishes but without them you won't feel any sting. This toner has kept my pimple breakouts to a minimum and helped me survive through every single one of them for the past couple of decades. Now if that doesn't sound like a holy grail product to you then I don't know what else would.


STEP 5: Essence
Missha's Time Revolution The First Treatment Essence has been in my regimen for almost 5 months now. This is a watery essence that's virtually unscented. I like how it's easily applied and absorbed by the skin. It feels a little sticky but not irritatingly thick or heavy. I can't tell for sure if this helped brighten my skin but I'm not really expecting it to work wonders after just a few months. Besides, the active ingredient galactomyces has been known to be effective on prolonged use. I have a few left in the bottle but I'm still undecided if I'll be repurchasing it or try another brand containing the same thing.


STEP 6: Serum
Until today, no other serum matches my ultimate favorite Midnight Recovery Concentrate by Kiehl's. It's a light oil-based product that has an herbal scent. A few drops is all you need to cover your entire face and neck. This serum may appear a little greasy on application but it doesn't make your skin feel sticky. Since I started using this product, I always wake up to a sufficiently moisturized and supple skin in the morning. I've been loyal to this serum for 3 years now and I'm definitely sticking to it until I find something else that works as effectively if not better. I also use this in the morning but not as often because it takes some time before it gets fully absorbed and looks less greasy. 


STEP 7: Face Mask
I remember trying out one of Korea's best selling face masks by Leader's Insolution but they're too expensive to maintain. For this reason, I've been trying to find a good enough substitute that doesn't cost as much. So far, I'm loving the facial masks from Miniso. Although the sheets are way thinner than I expected, I love how it's totally saturated with moisturizing ingredients. It took me a while to get used to making the mask fit my face without tearing. Once I got the hang of putting it on my face, I really like how it clings to my skin. After peeling it off, you will immediately notice how moisturized your skin appears. It might feel a little sticky to touch but not at all uncomfortable.


STEP 8: Eye Cream
I haven't had the chance to try different varieties of under eye creams  but I can say that I'm pretty much satisfied with what I've been using in the past months. The Guerlain Super Aqua-Eye Serum is a bargain find since it was sold to me for a discounted price. Although I haven't seen dramatic results on my undereye areas despite months of continued use, I still like using it because it has a creamy light consistency that sets easily. It's unscented and I like how it feels when massaged gently on my undereyes. No dramatic results yet but I just like how my eyebags aren't as prominent as they were before I started using Guerlain.


STEP 9: Moisturizer
My all-time favorite moisturizer is the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. Clinique is a brand that I absolutely adore and their DDM Gel is my ultimate favorite among all the skin care products they offer. It has a distinct fresh scent that fades almost instantly after application. A single pump offers immediate hydration without feeling sticky. I love how the gel spreads effortlessly and feels refreshingly smooth on my skin. It also gets absorbed quickly so you won't have to wait a while before you can continue with your skin care ritual. 


STEP 10: Day/Night Cream
There are tons of different cream products out there but I think I've seen and tried enough varieties to say I'm confident with what I currently have in my vanity. I prefer the VMV Hypoallergenics Armada Face Cover 30 in the morning because of its combined moisturising effects and sun protection. I love the lightweight  formula and how it effortlessly applies on my skin. This is the only sunscreen I've tried that doesn't reek of chemical odor nor leave a white cast. Although it comes in a hefty tag, I still believe that this product is worth the splurge.


At night, I prefer using the Olay Regenerist Advanced Anti-Ageing Micro-Sculpting Cream Moisturiser. What makes it stand out above the other creams I've tried is it never fails to bring my skin back to life every single time I use it. The effects on my skin are so obvious that I see them everyday I wake and immediately notice the huge difference when I fail to apply it. Good thing I managed to get 3 back-ups in my stash during Lazada's 11/11 and 12/12 nationwide sale so I'm pretty sure I'm covered for a long time.


That wraps up my favorite skin care products of 2016. Please watch out for my makeup favorites coming very soon. Any thoughts on the products I mentioned? Do leave your comments on the space provided below and thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Have a happy holiday!



No comments:

Post a Comment