2016 FAVORITES: Makeup

Saturday, January 21, 2017


Happy new year everyone! This is the second installment of my 2016 favorites and now I'm featuring the best makeup products I've encountered the past year. Just to give you a background, I'm actually more of a skin care than a makeup junkie which is why I'm making a disclaimer that the products I'll be mentioning are the best of the ones I've used so far.



PRIMER: Missha The Style Silky Soft Base
I don't regularly use a primer but whenever I feel like I need my choice of foundation to hold up, I always reach for The Style Silky Soft Base by Missha. It's actually a gift from a dear friend who knew I needed a really good primer. I love how this product easily applies on my face and blurs out my pores hence providing a smooth canvas for my foundation. This primer effectively keeps foundation in place and helps keep oil at bay.




FOUNDATION: Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Makeup, SPF 10/PA++
I've only been using the Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation for over a month now but hands down this product is holy grail material. It's unbelievably lightweight yet offers full coverage. I love that this foundation effectively covers my skin imperfections and stays that way the entire day. The matte finish is a great bonus although I still prefer to top it with a finishing powder. It's by far the most expensive foundation I've ever purchased but the quality you're getting is top notch.



CONCEALER: L'oreal True Match Super-Blendable Concealer
I'm obsessed with my current concealer from L'oreal, the True Match Super-Blendable Concealer. True to its claims, this product applies easily and blends liked a dream. I love that it doesn't dry off quickly hence giving you enough time to blend. Good thing the sales rep of L'oreal Landmark gave me the perfect shade that matches my skin. This is also one of the  affordable concealers in the market and best of all I got mine for half the price during L'oreal's sale.



FINISHING POWDER: Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder
A recent favorite I've been raving about is the Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder. First off, I didn't expect much from this product at all but after initial use I couldn't get out of the house without it. What made me love it is the ultra fine texture that readily blends when applied. It instantly sets your foundation and effectively controls oil production hence extending makeup wear for hours. It may have a familiar "mature" scent but for me the exceptional quality is worth the trouble.



EYE SHADOW PRIMER: elf Eyelid Primer
Whenever I feel like using an eye shadow primer, I always reach out for elf. I like the creamy texture and how it applies smoothly on the lids. It effectively primes the skin and extends your eye makeup wear. The brightening effect is a nice addition, what's even better is the way this primer enhances the color of your eye shadow regardless of the brand. Best of all, it's an affordable product that's available locally.



EYE SHADOW: Pixi Book of Beauty Minimal Makeup Face Palette
For the year 2016, I got to try several new eye shadow products from various brands and the eye shadows included in the Pixi Book of Beauty Minimal Makeup Face Palette are on top of my list. The two satin shades of nude and brown in particular are so pigmented that a light swirl of your brush is enough to build enough pop of color. The texture is so buttery that it blends gorgeously with very minimal fall out. The color is buildable and can be layered without looking chalky. I love using the satin brown shade because it flatters my medium skin and gives my eyelids the much needed depth.



EYE LINER: K-Palette 1 Day Tattoo Essence in Shadow Liner
I don't regularly use an eyeliner simply because I suck at doing a good cat eye. Whenever I do feel the need to amp up my look, I always rely on K-Palette's 1 Day Tattoo Essence in Shadow Liner. I like the felt tip wand because the firm base and tapered edge makes application a bit easier. I love that a single swipe gets you a solid black color that doesn't bleed and stays on for hours without budging.



EYEBROW PENCIL: Nature Republic By Flower Wood Eyebrow Pencil
For the brow pencil category, nothing beats Nature Republic's By Flower Wood Eyebrow Pencil. I use the shade #2 which gives off an ash gray color. The pencil easily glides on your brows without tugging. I love how the color appears natural as if you just had your brows groomed. I've tried a lot of  brow pencils from other brands but I always go back to Nature Republic.



BLUSH: Guerlain Meteorites Bubble Blush (01 Pink)
Another makeup step I tend to skip is applying blush mainly because I always feel like I'm overdoing the shade despite endless blending. Good thing I was gifted a pot of Guerlain Meteorites Bubble Blush in the shade 01 pink. I love that it's a cream blush which you can directly stamp on your cheeks then blend away with your fingers or blush brush. It creates a lightly flushed color that gives your cheeks a lovely glow. I also like taking this with me for quick midday touch-ups.



HIGHLIGHT: Guerlain Meteorites Perles Du Dragon Illuminating Powder
Another amazing product from Guerlain is their iconic meteorites in different varieties, mine is the Perles Du Dragon Illuminating Powder. I like this fool proof highlighter because it brings out a lively glow on my skin. It may appear glittery if you pack on too much product which is why I prefer using a brush to pick up just the right amount.



LIP BALM: VMV Hypoallergenics Grandma Minnie's The Big, Brave Boo-boo Balm
This is a balm I use to moisturize my lips everyday. It appears like a cloudy paste and has a hint of coconut scent. I love the way it applies easily and melts like butter on your lips. This lip balm instantly moisturizes your lips but doesn't feel greasy at all. I prefer using this before applying any lip color or alone when I just need to keep my lips from drying.



LIPSTICK: Laura Mercier Velour Lovers Lip Colour in Couquette
I am not a lipstick person and I prefer tinted lip balms for everyday use but when I tried the Laura Mercier Velour Lovers Lip Color in Couquette, I knew I finally found the perfect formula and shade I can stick to. This lipstick goes on smooth and creamy when applied. It gives a satin matte finish and I  love how it's highly pigmented yet moisturizing.



SETTING SPRAY: MAC Prep+Prime Fix+
Since I've transitioned into using foundation in 2016, I've also been introduced to several techniques that can extend makeup wear, one of which is the use of makeup fixing spray. For the year 2016 my top favorite setting spray is the MAC Prep+Prime Fix+. It has the appearance and consistency of water. The spray can create a drizzle of product, just make sure to hold the bottle 12 inches away from your skin to avoid big droplets from landing on your face. I love how this product sets my makeup and makes it less powdery after applying finishing powder. I can't accurately tell how long it makes my makeup last but whenever I use it, I always get a significant amount of foundation on my makeup cleansing wipes at the end of the day.


That concludes my 2016 makeup favorites! I hope you enjoyed going through all of them as much as I did. If you haven't seen my 2016 skincare favorites, you may click here. Thank you so much for your precious time and have a wonderful day ahead. Until next time!



1 comment :

  1. Hi! What shade do you wear in the Estee Lauder Stay-in-Place line?

    ReplyDelete