This is my STORY.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Last night I saw the replay of Cheche Lazaro's documentary on obesity in iwantv.com.ph. If I was only holding a score board and gained points whenever I shared the same sentiments and experiences with Iza Calzado and the other guests, I would've garnered a nearly perfect score.

I was born a big baby at 9 lbs but I wasn't at all an overweight kid until I reached fifth grade in elementary. I remember having to change my school uniforms because the ones I had the previous year didn't fit anymore. Back then, I didn't know it was the start of my lifelong battle against obesity.

It dawned on me that I was indeed overweight when I reached high school. Everyone else in my class wore fad clothes while I was wearing my older brother's denim pants and shirts. At first, it didn't bother me that I couldn't fit in the clothes worn by people my age. I was okay with being comfortable and thankful I had relatives from abroad who sent me clothes that fit. Ayway, I wasn't going out often so my school uniforms were the ones I wore most of the time. I guess I was also in denial that I was indeed overweight. I was thinking that I was okay as long as other girls in my school were bigger than me.

Then came college. I was dreading the day when I had to wear white uniform but when I got to my school, there were still others bigger than me only this time they were less. Not being the biggest in class gave me a little security.

When I reached med school, I was the biggest girl in my class. My comfort zone was the idea that I may be the biggest among the girls but there were still guys bigger than me. I don't remember trying to lose weight. My lame excuse was that I didn't have to stress myself about being overweight because I had my studies to worry about. I needed all the comfort I could get to cope up with my stressful life in medicine. Finally during my junior internship, I lost a lot of weight unintentionally. I was suddenly in a stressful and tiring situation that my body was gradually getting smaller as the months passed. I really trimmed down to the point when my mom had to resize my uniforms. When I reached senoir internship I gradually regained the pounds I lost. Needless to say that it was very frustrating for me. I was mad at myself for letting it happen. Since I wasn't getting any younger and losing weight was getting more difficult for me, I decided to use weight loss pills. The very first I tried made me feel full the entire day so I ate less but it didn't give me the results I was expecting. I gave up entirely and accepted my fate of being over sized my entire life.

When I reached residency training, I wasn't at all trying to lose weight. I guess I totally gave up on it. I was thinking, people will have to accept me for who I really am. I felt like I didn't have to please anyone so I wasn't at all too conscious with my weight. During my ER rotation, I was again subjected to a lot of stress and physical exertion that I felt my clothes loosening and got my friends noticing. Again without any effort at all I was losing weight. That time, I went out of my way to get this burden of being overweight off my back and started to join boxing and eventually signed up in a gym.

Up to this day I still struggle with my weight. I may not be as big as I was before but my ideal weight is still very far from my reach. I dream of the day when I can finally wear everything I missed wearing, like sleeveless tops and skinny jeans. Watching Cheche Lazaro's documentary and hearing Iza Calzado's  story suddenly made me feel more hopeful. Maybe someday I can be as successful as she is. If and when that happens, I will definitely look back on this day, maybe even write another blog about it. Who knows, my story might encourage others who share my struggles to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment