BAREMINERALS: Get Started Complexion Kit

Tuesday, May 30, 2017




I tend to stay away from posting reviews on products that aren't widely available in Manila but I really have to let this one slip. During our visit to relatives in Florida, we got to see several shops but the best one for me of course is, without a doubt, Bare Minerals. Since this brand has no flagship store in Manila and online sellers tend to sell them for twice the original tag, I didn't think twice and got myself the Bare Minerals Get Started Complexion Kit.




I actually came prepared and did an early research on what shade suits me for each foundation brand I plan to buy during this trip so I knew exactly which shade to try on. I was initially eyeing the Bare Minerals Original Foundation and the sales rep pointed out the shade medium tan which turned out to be the same shade I got from my research. I was about to buy it for $ 28.50 which is roughly Php 1,500 but he suggested to choose the Get Started Complexion Kit instead. 




One look at the kit and I was instantly convinced to buy one despite the hefty tag of $ 49 or Php 2,500. First of all, I love that it comes with a black makeup bag which I'm certainly using as my new retouch kit. One great feature of the bag is a nice mirror which will come in really handy for touch-ups. 




The kit contains six items including a primer, two types of foundation, an enhancer, a polisher and a makeup brush. According to Bare Minerals, this complexion kit is all you need to follow the four steps to flawless and achieve radiantly beautiful skin. 




Prime Time Original Foundation Primer (15 ml)

This primer comes in a small tube with a screw cap. It's unscented, has a translucent silicone-like appearance and texture. I'm a newbie when it comes to using makeup primers and I only have a few to compare it with but this reminds me so much of the Artdeco Make-up Base Foundation Primer with better formulation. It doesn't just sit on your skin like what's expected of silicone-containing primers. Given a few minutes to set, this primer sinks in your skin, minimizes your pores and gives you a smooth canvas to apply on foundation. I've used it for a week now and it didn't break me out. I can't say much about maximizing liquid foundation wear but so far this primer works really well under the Bare Minerals Powder Foundation. 




bareMinerals Original Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 (2 g/0.07 oz))

I want to start off with expressing my admiration for the packaging. I love that it has a transparent sifter with a cover that twists to open and locks with a snap to close. This feature allows you to carefully dispense the product and swirl your brush on top to pick up just the right amount. The medium tan shade perfectly matches my summer complexion which goes between NC35-40. 

This product is unscented and is finely milled. A few strokes of the brush quickly collects the powder without making a mess. After tapping off excess powder from the brush, I apply it using light circular strokes. This powder foundation doesn't clump nor appear patchy. It doesn't settle on my creases especially around the eyes and I was truly surprised how it doesn't look dry on the skin. I like how it gives a natural finish with a bit of glow that lasts six to eight hours after application. It offers medium coverage so you still need to apply concealer if needed. I will have to figure out how to work this with liquid concealer though. 




bareMinerals Matte Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 15 (1.5 g/0.05 0z)

This is another variety of the bareMinerals Foundation that claims to give a natural matte finish. It has exactly the same packaging as the original bareMinerals foundation as well as appearance, texture and feel of the product but the similarity ends there. If you want to skip the glow that the original formula offers, this product is your next best choice. I actually love the same natural finish without the added glow that lasts for six to eight hours max. 




bareMinerals Warmth All-Over Face Color (0.57 g/0.02 oz)

I have to say it took me a while to figure out what this is for. The packaging describes it as an enhancer which to me wasn't as clear until I finally saw its deep shade. Apparently this product can be used for contouring your face. It appears like a finely milled powder, is unscented and a small amount  is enough to enhance your face. As suggested by bareMinerals, I apply this on areas of my face where the sun would naturally touch like the cheekbones, eyelids, forehead, chin and nose bridge. I love that it blends easily and how it gives a bit of dimension to my face. A small amount is enough to give your skin a bit of warmth which lasts for a good six hours.




bareMinerals Mineral Veil Finishing Powder (0.75 g/0.03)

To me, this finishing powder is the most familiar among the stuff included in this kit. Since I've been routinely using other different brands lately, I'm excited to try bareMinerals and see how it fairs compared to those. This product comes in a sample pot with a sifter covered by a stick-on. This also appears finely milled and can be picked up easily by the brush. It is unscented, has a soft texture and a small amount is enough to set your foundation. It doesn't have any shimmer hence can be used on top of any foundation for daily use. I also find this a good powder for touch-ups needed six to eight hours post application. 



Overall, I personally think that the bareMinerals Get Started Complexion Kit is a great way to ease your way into the brand. I love that I got to try several products from a single purchase hence I know that the matte version of  their best selling mineral powder foundation looks better on my oily combination skin. I may have to repurchase a lighter shade when summer ends since I'm usually an NC 30 around that time. BareMinerals are available in the US but can also be bought from Manila-based online shops like beautymnl. 



No comments:

Post a Comment