MISS UNIVERSE 2018: Catriona Gray's Nightly Skincare Ritual

Thursday, December 27, 2018


Video taken during Miss Universe 2018

Hello everyone! A couple of weeks ago, Miss Philippines Catriona Gray made us all proud by representing our country and bagging the Miss Universe 2018 title. She dazzled us with her beauty, even more so with her performance from the iconic lava walk down to her heartfelt answer during the final Q&A.



Image by Catriona Gray via Instagram

In the past days, I've been seeing tons of Catriona's videos on Youtube and as a skincare freak I really can't help but notice her gorgeous bare skin. So I searched further and luckily saw a video of her nightly skincare routine featured on Star Style Ph. For this blog post I thought of walking you through the steps and let you in on my product recommendations along the way.



Cat starts off her nighttime skincare with removing makeup using coconut oil but she didn't mention any particular brand. As for me, I used to prefer an oil based makeup remover like the Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil but I've been adoring micellar water particularly Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micelle Solution. Since we're trying to follow Cat's skincare routine, the only coconut oil brand I'm confident to use and recommend is the VMV Hypoallergenics Grandma Minnie's Oil's Well Nurturing Do-it-Oil.

Image by VMV Hypoallergenics


This comes in a nice plastic bottle containing 75 ml of product. It's made of organic virgin coconut oil with coconut-derived monolaurin. I like how it's light textured and doesn't have a greasy feel. More importantly, it removes makeup with ease and smells amazing at the same time. The only problem is it solidifies in cold temperature so you may need to scoop it out when it does or immerse the bottle in hot water until it melts. 



After massaging her face with oil, Cat uses a makeup wipe to remove the excess as well as the melted makeup. Again, there was no mention of a particular brand so you can actually use whichever you prefer but my current favorite is the Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes.




These towelettes can actually be used alone and can melt even the fullest coverage makeup. The size is large enough for single use but you may need an added sheet for tough to remove makeup products like those done professionally. This isn't widely available in Manila but you can get them from Lander's or S&R.



Next step to makeup removal, Cat cleanses her face with Lush Angels on Bare Skin. This cleanser comes in a small tub and is made of kaolin clay, ground almonds and a soothing blend of lavender, rose and chamomile oils.


Images by (L) Lush via Beauty Bulletin and (R) VMV Hypoallergenics 

My choice for cleanser which resembles the almond scrub found in Lush is the VMV Hypoallergenics id Skin-Buffing Cleansing Scrub. This cleanser is moderately saturated with beads and feels refreshing after every use. It may come across as a pricey facial cleanser but a pea-size is all it takes so one tube can last months.



Next step on Catriona's skincare routine is serum application which she does using Origins Original Skin. My choice of serum is the Clinique Smart Custom-Repair Serum which I've been using for over a year now.


Images by (L) Origins and (R) Clinique

I love the sleek packaging and pump dispenser making it very travel friendly. A single pump is all you need to cover your entire face so this 30 ml bottle lasts more than a couple of months before drying out. It's a thicker serum which looks and feels more like a thick lotion. It applies effortlessly and leaves your face fully hydrated.



On days when Cat has skin blemishes, she reveals adding spot treatment in her regimen. She failed mentioning which particular product but my recommendation is the Neutrogena On-the-Spot Acne Treatment.


Image by Neutrogena

This comes in a small tube containing 21 grams of product. I like how the tiny spout allows you to dispense the right amount needed each time. This has the consistency of a light cream that spreads easily and gets absorbed fast. I like that it doesn't sting when applied and gently dries my pimple lesions without irritating the surrounding skin.



After blemish treatment, Cat continues her routine with application of night cream on the face and neck using the Glow Lab Night Cream, a product she picked up from one of her travels. My current favorite and recommendation is the Clinique Smart Night Custom-Repair Moisturizer.

Images by (L) Glow Lab and (R) Clinique

It comes in a small tub containing 15 ml of cream. This moisturizer is opaque white and has a faint scent. I like that it's a light cream which applies smoothly and melts on the skin like butter. It immediately moisturizes the skin and keeps it hydrated overnight.



Cat continues her skincare routine with the Kiehl's Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado using her ring finger in applying the product. I also love Kiehl's but recently I've been obsessed with the Olay Regenerist Revitalising Eye Serum.

Images by (L) Kiehl's and (R) Olay

This eye cream comes in a small tube containing 15 ml of product. I love how the pointed spout can dispense the right amount of cream with precision around the eyes. It's gentle enough to keep the delicate areas of the eye from irritation yet potent in keeping the under eyes well hydrated.



To lock-in all the moisture, Cat goes on to apply facial oil using a brand she got from Healthy Options, the Desert Essence Jojoba Oil. This product actually intrigued me that I'm planning to try it myself. The only facial oil I've used so far is Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate.


Images by (L) Desert Essence and (R) Kiehl's

First time I purchased Kiehl's was during their holiday promo in 2014 which included  a limited edition 30 ml bottle of Midnight Recovery Concentrate. I love that it came with a glass dropper for ease of dispensing. It has a light texture that applies effortlessly leaving your skin supple to touch.



I like how Cat includes eyelashes and brows in her skincare routine by applying The Innate Life Rose Hair Elixir. I recently incorporated brow care in my regimen as recommended by the brow artist who shaped my brows a couple of months ago.


Images by (L) The Innate Life and (R) Cosmo Ph

I'm using Castor Oil bought from the local pharmacy which I repacked in a small bottle with doe foot applicator. This is very affordable and can be bought from all local drug stores. It's unscented and doesn't feel icky when applied. I like that it hydrates my brows and how it boosts new brow growth evident in just a few days of daily use.



Lastly, Cat moisturizes her lips with a long time favorite product, the Lucas Pawpaw Ointment. This brand became very popular in Manila when local celebrities were seen with this red tube in their makeup bags. Apparently, Cat has been using this product for years back in Australia.


Images by (L) Lucas Papaw and (R) VMV Hypoallergenics

My holy grail lip balm which pretty much resembles the Lucas Papaw is VMV Hypoallergenics Grandma Minnie's The Big Brave Boo-boo Balm. This comes in a small tube holding 8 grams of product and a bigger tub containing 15 grams. It's unscented, has the texture of a thick ointment that melts on your lips once applied. I love how it keeps my lips moisturized and how it effectively heals chapped lips.


Image by Starstyle Ph

This concludes the reigning Miss Universe Catriona Gray's nightly skincare ritual paired with my product recommendations for each step. Feel free to choose which product to use or better yet keep using the ones that work for you. Keep in mind, there's no single regimen that fits everyone. Just stick to what works, be consistent with taking care of your skin and that's when you'll notice results.


Thank you for taking time to read this post and I hope to see you on the next. Feel free to subscribe to get notified on future posts by clicking subscribe via bloglovin' on the right sidebar. Follow me on different social media accounts by hitting the icons on the left upper corner of this page. Let me know if you have questions and I'll get back to you soon. Bye!



No comments:

Post a Comment